“The Qld Chamber of Commerce and Industry commissioned Galaxy poll makes a strong case for opposing Rudd’s CPRS,” said The Nationals’ Senator Ron Boswell today.
“Consumer sentiment is emphatically against a vote on the CPRS ahead of Copenhagen amidst concerns of higher power prices and the cost to jobs.”
Senator Boswell said that Australians were also concerned that the government was not giving them enough information on the ETS.
“Specifically, the Galaxy research, released by ACCI, found that:-
• 71% believe the introduction of the ETS will raise electricity prices
• 49% of Australian adults are of the opinion that the introduction of an ETS will cost Australian jobs if we move in isolation
• 82% do not believe the government has provided sufficient information about the pros and cons for the ETS
• the majority of Australians, 54%, believe we should delay the introduction of the ETS until after the Copenhagen Summit
• In contrast, only 34% of adult Australians do not believe the introduction of the ETS should be delayed*.”
“There’s a perfect storm brewing over the CPRS when you have electricity generators warning of threats to supply and massive compensation claims, revelations of cyber wars between climate scientists and new confirmation that consumers do not want Australia to move on an ETS until after Copenhagen.”
“Woe to any political group that fails to listen to these weather reports.”
* Source:- Main Findings, Galaxy Research, ETS Study, conducted Nov 20-22, 2009. Visit www.acci.asn.au